Backyard Chickens and Community Food Systems


 “Do your local policies and regulations address the importance of local food supply? Has your municipality supported or identified locations for community gardens? Can your residents grow vegetables and raise hens in their backyard? Is produce permitted to be sold in residential districts?” 

These are some of the questions posed in the Community Food Systems Guide created by the U.P. Food Exchange policy committee, in partnership with the Michigan State University Extension. I shared excerpts from the guide among other resources with my local planning commission last night. I’m happy to report they were receptive to the information and have committed to exploring ways to allow more residents to keep chickens! (Click here to read more about my backyard chicken political effort.)

I’d be lying if I said I was trying not to get my hopes up. It’s too late for that. I’m excited and hopeful! 

My experience with the township has been wholeheartedly positive this time around. I’m very grateful to the township board and the planning commission for adding this topic to their agenda, and for their willingness to work with me on this effort. This is my first time getting involved politically beyond voting. It’s been an interesting journey! 

Stay tuned – I hope to have more updates in the coming weeks. In the meantime, feel free to peruse the resources made available by the MSU Extension:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/new-community-food-system-policy-resources-now-available


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curious about my new children's book? Check out the project here.

Sneak Preview: Hardcover proof of Bawk Bawk in the Backyard

My Backyard Chicken Political Effort: Local author is advocating for backyard chicken keeping in Lima Township